Saturday, January 15, 2011

Baked Asian Salmon

Friday night is a bit hectic as the Wrigglebottom swims at 6pm and I generally don't get home to 5:20.  By the time we're home from swimming it's after 7 so whatever I cook needs to be quick. If the Outlaw Granny has give her her dinner I can be a bit adventurous but she's currently suffering with her back.  I had planned to do Ginger & Chilli Salmon by Levi Root on his app but the internet was down again and I couldn't find it on my iPhone so I made it up instead!

Heat the oven to 200C
1)  Chop 2 spring onions. Place in a baking dish just big enough to squeeze the salmon that you're cooking in;
2)  Add about 2cm root ginger.  I keep mine in the freezer so that it doesn't get all wizened and then grate it finely.  It stays fresh goes a lot further, doesn't need to be peeled and doesn't give anyone a nasty shock because there are no big lumps.
3)  Add the rind and juice of 1 lime.  Roll the lime on a hard surface before you grate it and it will be a lot easier to squeeze.
4) Add a tablespoon of dark soy and about 50ml of shaoshing rice wine or sake if you have it.
5)  Put the salmon fillets in skin side down;
6)  Cover with foil or baking paper and put in the oven for 10-15 mins depending on the number of salmon steaks. You want the salmon to be just cooked.

Serve with plain boiled rice and steamed veg.  That's got to be the healthiest thing I've cooked since Christmas day!

Ease of prep 5; Bonzo 7 because he doesn't like soy that much; Wrigglebottom 9 because she loves fish, rice & veg even if she could taste the lime and an 8 from me.  I left it in about 2 minutes longer than I would have liked and it would have benefitted from chilli but then the Wrigglebottom wouldn't have eaten it.  Total score 14/15 so will definitely work on this one.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment