Sunday, January 23, 2011

Terrific Turbot

We seem to have eaten a lot of fish since Christmas.  Not sure whether it's made any difference on the scales.I might check tomorrow. Last time I went into Seafresh, I was challenged as I almost always buy the same fish - haddock,smoked haddock, sea bass,salmon.  Well I suppose at least one of those is not in the top 5 and line caught.  The fish I was challenged with was pout.  It looks a bit like a small whiting but I can't find any recipes for it so I might work up to it.  It's also Bonzo's birthday tomorrow and on request we're not going out and I'm not cooking anything fancy (well that's what he thinks!) so I decided that I'd treat us to a turbot.  When you see them on the TV they're always huge because restaurants like doing steaks rather than the whole fish.  I bought a fish that was just over 3lb which was more than enough for the three of us.

The great thing about fish (apart from the fact that it's good for you) is that it's best not to muck around with it too much and it doesn't take too long to cook.

1)  Heat the oven to 200C

2) If the fishmonger hasn't already done it, cut the frill off round the edge and any other fins (the tail as well if it doesn't fit in the pan).  This will make it easier to skin the fish when it's cooked.

3)  Put it in a roasting pan,dark side up and season.

4) Carefully pour a pint of water around the fish to make sure that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and stays nice and moist.  Put the pan in the oven for 30 mins or until the fish is cooked.

5)  Put 3oz/75g butter in a small pan and melt on a low heat.

6)  Finely chop about a handful of mixed herbs (chives, parsley,thyme leaves, dill).  Throw them into the melted butter and set aside.

7)  When the fish is cooked, remove it from the pan and keep warm.

8)  Put the pan on top of the oven and boil the cooking liquid quickly until you have about 2 tablespoons of liquid left.

9)  Whilst this is happening carefully peel the upper layer of skin off the fish.  With a fish slice or pallet knife, ease the top two fillets away from the bone and plate up.

10)  Remove the head and bone and lever the second two fillets away form the lower skin and plate.

11)  Pour the cooking liquor into the warm herb butter and give it a good whisk.  Pour the sauce over the fillets and serve.

I'd give this a 4 for prep. Dealing with a whole fish is a bit scary.  Bonzo gave it an eight, Rosie a 10,I'd give it a 9 but only because I ate too much and I kept thinking about how expensive it was.  It was so much better than the Horrid Haddock.  So a 13 overall (must do a leader board).  I will definitely try anew fish next time I go (even if it means taking 5 cookbooks with me).

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment